Yasmin is a combined contraceptive pill that’s over 99% effective at preventing pregnancy.
It’s made up of 2 hormones, progesterone and oestrogen.
Yasmin can be ordered online using a simple questionnaire, as long as you are aged between 16 and 50 and female. One of our doctors will look at your order and approve the right treatment.
We can deliver your pills, or you can pick them up in any Superdrug store.
To place an order, fill in a brief questionnaire. One of our doctors will review your order and prescribe a suitable treatment.
|Yasmin - 3 months||£29.50|
|Yasmin - 6 months||£50.00|
Prices include prescription and delivery.
In a hurry? Choose Click and Collect and pick up your order after just 4 hours from a Superdrug Pharmacy.
Fully trusted and UK-regulated
✔ Regulated by the CQC
✔ GPhC-registered pharmacies
✔ Approved by the MHRA
Yasmin works in the same way as other combined contraceptive pills to prevent pregnancy. The 2 hormones in the combined pill work by:
- stopping your ovaries from releasing an egg (ovulation) every month
- thickening the mucus in your cervix lining the neck of the womb (uterus), making it more difficult for a sperm to reach an egg
- thinning the lining of the womb (endometrium), making it difficult for a fertilised egg to attach and grow
Yasmin is over 99% effective at preventing pregnancy if it is taken at the same time every day. In practice, it’s actually closer to about 91% effective because:
- you may forget to take it correctly
- you might forget to restart the pill pack at the right time
- it’s less effective if you get sick (vomit) or have diarrhoea
- other medications may change the way it works
Yasmin comes in a strip of 21 pills marked with the days of the week:
- Take the 1st Yasmin pill on the 1st day of your period
- Take your pill at the same time every day
- Take the pill marked with the correct day of the week
- After finishing the strip of 21 pills, stop taking Yasmin for 7 days. You should get a period-like bleed, also called a withdrawal bleed
- After the 7 day break, start a new strip of 21 pills
- Start a new strip on the same day of the week each time
You will be protected from getting pregnant during the 7 day break, as long as you have taken your pill pack as prescribed.
If you miss a pill and remember within 24 hours, you should take it and take the next pill at the usual time. You will still be protected from getting pregnant.
If you forget to take your pill for more than 24 hours, you may be at risk of getting pregnant. Follow our doctor’s guidance on what to do if you miss a pill or check in the patient information leaflet.
There are other ways you can take Yasmin without a 7 day break. You can:
- take 1 pill a day for 9 weeks then no pills for the next 7 days, or you can take a 4 day break
- take 1 pill a day every day with no break
It’s a good idea to talk to your GP about the best way for you to take Yasmin. You can also find out more from the patient information leaflet.
If you start taking Yasmin in the first 5 days of your period you will be protected against pregnancy straight away.
But if you start taking Yasmin any time after day 5 of your period, you’re only protected from pregnancy once you have taken it every day for 7 days in a row. Use condoms to protect against pregnancy during the first 7 days of taking Yasmin.
Some people may experience side effects when taking Yasmin.
- Most of the side effects from taking the pill should reduce after about 3 months, as your body adjusts
- If side effects do not improve after 3 months or if they become worse, talk to your doctor
- Your doctor will investigate the side effects to rule out any serious underlying causes, before advising you about other contraceptive options
When taking Yasmin or other combined pills you may experience:
Common side effects:
- mood changes
- changes in your period
- breast pain
- vaginal discharge
- vaginal thrush infection
Uncommon side effects:
- changes in libido
- changes in blood pressure
- hair loss
- breast enlargement
- fluid retention
- changes in weight to less or more
Rare side effects:
- reduced hearing
- blood clots
- skin changes
- nipple discharge
Will I gain weight on Yasmin?
Although gaining weight is listed as a side effect of taking Yasmin in the patient information leaflet, there’s no clear evidence linking the combined pill and weight gain.
Yasmin may not be suitable for you if you are a smoker and over the age of 35, or if you have any of the following medical conditions:
- migraines with aura
- heart attack or stroke
- unexplained vagina bleeding
- have a raised BMI
- a history of breast cancer (but Yasmin can be used after 5 years if there's no evidence of disease and if non-hormonal methods unsuitable)
- uncontrolled diabetes
- kidney or liver problems
- breast or cervical cancer
- Crohn's disease or inflammatory bowel disease
- sickle cell anaemia
- varicose veins
- allergies to any of the ingredients in Yasmin
If you have any of these conditions, a progesterone-only (mini pill) may be more suitable for you, but you should always discuss any conditions you have with the doctor who is prescribing you Yasmin. They’ll be able to help you choose a suitable form of contraception.
Some medicines and supplements can make Yasmin less effective at protecting you from pregnancy. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- high blood pressure medication
- anti-virals to treat HIV or hepatitis C
- antibiotics to treat tuberculosis (TB)
- immunosuppressants for arthritis
- herbal treatments like St John’s wort
You should also tell your doctor about any over the counter medicines you’re currently taking. Other medicines that can interact with Yasmin can be found in the patient information leaflet.
Taking Yasmin may increase your risk of having the following conditions:
- blood clots – the higher levels of oestrogen in Yasmin can lead to an increase in clotting factors in the blood, so a blood clot is slightly more likely while you are taking this pill. The risk is small though – it goes from 2 in 1000 in the normal population to 12 in 1000 for those taking Yasmin. Common symptoms to watch out for are sharp chest pains, coughing up blood, swollen and painful legs, and sudden rapid heartbeat or breathing
- breast cancer – the oestrogen in combined contraceptive pills like Yasmin can also make breast cells grow faster, which can lead to an increased risk of breast cancer. Whether you're on a contraceptive pill or not, it is always important to check for breast lumps regularly and report any you find to your doctor
- cervical cancer – the oestrogen in Yasim can also cause certain cancer-promoting genes to become more active, and can lead to an increased risk of cervical cancer. Whether you're on a contraceptive or not it's important to have regular cervical screenings. The NHS offers cervical screening for women aged 25 to 64, to help pick up on any unusual cervical cell changes
If you're worried about health risks, you should talk them with your GP before taking the combined pill.
Can I drink alcohol on Yasmin?
You can drink alcohol while taking Yasmin without it reducing your protection from pregnancy. Drinking alcohol while taking Yasmin will not increase any possible side effects of the pill.
For health reasons though, you should always aim to drink within the recommended alcohol limits.
Can I take painkillers on Yasmin?
You can take over-the-counter painkillers like paracetamol while taking Yasmin, without it reducing your protection from pregnancy or increasing any potential side effects.
Can I take the morning after pill on Yasmin?
If you take the ellaOne morning after pill while taking Yasmin, you should wait for 5 days after taking ellaOne before re-starting Yasmin. You should use an additional form of contraception like condoms for at least 12 days after taking Ella One.
If you take the Levonelle emergency contraceptive, restart Yasmin straight away, but use an extra form of contraception like condoms for at least 7 days after taking Levonelle.
Can I delay my period when I’m taking Yasmin?
You can easily and safely delay your next period by skipping the 7 day break between each pill pack. Then you simply start the next pack immediately after day 21, and carry on taking the pills as you would normally.
Can I take Yasmin if I’m breastfeeding?
It is not a good idea to take Yasmin if you're currently breastfeeding as it may be unsafe for your baby. Your doctor can help you find an alternative contraceptive while you are breastfeeding. It may be best for you to use a barrier method such as condoms.
Cervical screening (2019) NHS [accessed 20 March 2020]
Contraception (2018) NHS [accessed 20 March 2020]
Contraception – combined hormonal methods (2019) NICE [accessed 20 March 2020]
Contraception – progesterone only methods (2019) NICE [accessed 20 March 2020]
Contraceptives, hormonal (2019) NICE [accessed 20 March 2020]
Combined Pill UCL [accessed 20 March 2020]
Media hype blood clot risk of birth control pills (2014) NHS [accessed 20 March 2020]
Mini Pill UCL [accessed 20 March 2020]
Recent Oral Contraceptive Use by Formulation and Breast Cancer Risk among Women 20 to 49 Years of Age (2014) The Journal of Cancer Research [accessed 20 March 2020]
Yasmin patient information leaflet (2019) EMC [accessed 20 March 2020]
Great, very trustworthy fast delivery
The easiest and quickest way for me to get products I need. Very quick delivery!
Straight forward no issues with 📦
I am regularly ordering Yasmin and it always arrives in a shop within 4 hours! I love the service!
I'm so pleased to be able to continue my regular pill. It has long since been taken off the list of NHS prescribed pills and nothing else has ever suited me quite like this. I am thrilled I am able to pay privately for it via Superdrug Doctor.
It's very useful and safe.
I would recommend for others as it is quick, efficient, easy to use, professional, easy to re order so makes life easier. I am very pleased with it. Thanks
Easy ordering process. Always very quick delivery. Convenient and affordable!
Good service, quick.
Efficient speedy service
great and fast
Simple, fast and easy way to order a routine prescription online. Will usr the service again and again.
Perfect! Received it in no time. Very responsable and the pills were the ones i needed! Also very easy to purchase
Worked for me since day one. Side effects varies from person to person and was nothing intolerable for me.
I used this product for a long time and I love it! I was very happy to see that Superdrug can provide it! Very pleased!
Reliable and fast service
Great product, been using it for 3 years.
Everything is ok. Good. Nice. Price ok
Medication arrived so quickly, perfect service
Happy with the service from superdrug doctor... It’s quick, easy and convenient!
I always trust this company to buy my contraceptive pills from them. Questions are straightforward and fast transaction and delivery.
Turnaround times are great and Dr is engaging throughout the process.
amazing service right from your own home :-)
easy to use
Very quick delivery!
Very easy process and great if you find it hard to get to the doctors.
I had to change contraception and Superdrug Online Doctor was a good option. Their service was very fast but also very efficient. The doctor I was in contact with asked me questions and did not just gave me the pill without checking on me first. I would recommend it. As for the pill, I am not seeing any side effects so far, but it might be too early to judge.
Easy to makd order and get delivery in few days.
Easy to use, great communication and duty of care
Very handy and quick service, my prescription item was delivered within a couple of days
Arrived quicker than expected, product as it should be. Thanks
Great service. Quick and easy.
Very easy to order pills that need doctor approval and very fast delivery :)
This service is easy to use, the questionnaire is simple to follow. Regular contact via email allowed me to know where my order was up to, and the delivery was very quick. I would recommend this service to anyone.
I never received my item 💊
Great service and the products too
Very reliable and helpful
Very easy and efficient way to get prescriptions. I like using this service!
A brilliant service from start to finish. Would recommend to anyone.
Great fast service. Better than going to my GP
Fast, straight and easy. Going through the app to order my medicine was a pleasant experience.
Quick and professional service, I recommend.
Quick and professional service
Everything was excellent. Thanks you!
Excellent and efficient service!