Yasmin is an effective and popular oral contraceptive pill prescribed for women in the UK to prevent pregnancy.
When used correctly, Yasmin can be over 99% effective in preventing pregnancy.
You can buy Yasmin online from Superdrug Online Doctor after completing a short medical form for one of our doctors to review.
To place an order, fill in a brief questionnaire. One of our doctors will review your order and prescribe a suitable treatment.
|Yasmin - 3 months||£29.50|
|Yasmin - 6 months||£50.00|
Prices include prescription and delivery.
In a hurry? Choose Click and Collect and pick up your order after just 4 hours from a Superdrug Pharmacy.
Fully trusted and UK-regulated
✔ Regulated by the CQC
✔ GPhC-registered pharmacies
✔ Approved by the MHRA
Yasmin is a combined oral contraceptive pill that is used to prevent pregnancy.
Each Yasmin pill contains man-made forms of two female hormones oestrogen (30mcg ethinylestradiol) and progesterone (3mg drospirenone) . This is similar to other combined oral contraceptive pills like Lucette and Gedarel.
Although most women take Yasmin to prevent pregnancy, it can also be used to treat heavy and painful periods.
You can buy Yasmin from Superdrug Online Doctor, even if you’ve never taken it before, by taking the following steps:
- Fill in a short online assessment
- One of our doctors will make sure it’s safe and appropriate for you to take Yasmin
- We will then send Yasmin to an address of your choice in the post, or you can pick it up from a Superdrug store of your choice.
(Click and Collect locations may be limited during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic)
- Our service is convenient and confidential. All medications are sent in discreet and unmarked packaging
Can you get Yasmin over the counter?No, you cannot buy Yasmin over the counter. Yasmin is a prescription-only medication, which means you need a doctor’s prescription to buy it from a pharmacy. You can get a prescription online with Superdrug Online Doctor.
Can you get Yasmin on the NHS?Yes, you may be able to get Yasmin on the NHS, depending on the local guidelines in your area.
To get Yasmin through the NHS, you need to first book a face to face appointment with your local GP or visit one of the NHS sexual health clinics closest to you.
Yes, Yasmin is safe for you to take as long as it was prescribed for you by a doctor.
Yasmin does have a higher risk of causing blood clots compared to other contraceptive pills, so it’s not suitable for all women.
Yasmin contains two female hormones (ethinylestradiol and drospirenone) which work to prevent pregnancy by:
- preventing your ovaries from releasing an egg, so you stop ovulating each month
- increasing the thickness of the fluid around the neck of the womb (cervix), making it harder for sperm get inside the womb
- making the lining of the womb thinner, so if any egg gets fertilised, it becomes difficult to implant itself in the womb
How long does Yasmin take to work?
If you start taking Yasmin on day 1 to 5 of your period, you will be protected from pregnancy immediately.
If you start Yasmin after the first 5 days of your period, you will not be protected from pregnancy immediately. In this case, you will need to use an additional contraception, like condoms, for the first 7 days of taking Yasmin.
How effective is Yasmin?
Yasmin can be over 99% effective at preventing pregnancy when taken correctly, as prescribed by your doctor. This means that out of 100 women who use Yasmin as contraception every year, less than 1 will get pregnant.
This effectiveness may reduce to about 91% for the following reasons:
- If you miss pills regularly
- You experience vomiting or diarrhoea after taking the pill
- You take other medicines which may make Yasmin less effective
You can speak to your doctor or local pharmacist for more advice if you have any of the concerns listed above.
Yasmin comes in strips of 21 pills, each marked with the day of the week to take it.
- Take each pill at the same time every day and swallow it whole with water
- Take one pill every day for 21 days, followed by a 7-day break where you don’t take any pills. During this week you will get a withdrawal bleed, like your monthly period.
- Start a new strip after the 7 day pill break. You should start each strip on the same day every time
You will still be protected from pregnancy during the 7-day pill break, as long as you have taken your Yasmin pills correctly.
When should I start taking Yasmin?
You can start taking Yasmin on any day of the week, and at any time during your menstrual cycle. When you start taking Yasmin has no impact on the pill’s effectiveness.
If you start taking Yasmin between day 1 to 5, you will have immediate protection from pregnancy. If you start Yasmin on any other day in your cycle, you will need to also use an additional method of contraception like condoms, for the first 7 days of taking the pill.
Can I take Yasmin without a break?
You can take Yasmin every day back to back without taking a 7-day pill break. This has reportedly helped some women reduce the risk of developing side effects when on the pill.
Taking Yasmin daily without a break could also avoid the need of emergency contraception if you’ve had unprotected sex at any time in your monthly cycle.
What happens if you miss a Yasmin pill?
- If you miss one pill, or start your new strip a day late, take the pill you missed as soon as possible
- You should take the missed pill even if it means taking two pills in one day
- You should still be protected from pregnancy so you won’t need to use protection or take the morning after pill (you can continue taking the rest of your pill strip as normal)
- If you miss a pill and your strip ends within the next 6 days, you should skip your 7 day break and continue with the next strip immediately instead
- If it has been longer than 2 days since you missed your pill, you may not be protected from pregnancy (continue to take your pill as normal, but do not have unprotected sex for the next 7 days)
- If you’ve had unprotected sex since you missed your pill, you’ll need to use emergency contraception
Can I take Yasmin to delay my period?
Yes, you can take Yasmin daily without the 7-day pill break to delay your period. After taking Yasmin for 21 days, skip the 7-day pill break and start the new pill strip immediately if you want to delay your period.
Can I use Yasmin as emergency contraception?
No, Yasmin cannot be used as an emergency contraception.
If you are not using contraception and have had unprotected sex, then you need to take the morning after pill or have the copper coil inserted within 5 days of having unprotected sex, to prevent pregnancy.
Some people choose to take Yasmin daily without the 7-day pill break to avoid the hassle of needing emergency contraception after unprotected sex at any time in their monthly cycle.
You can find more advice about how to take Yasmin, including what to do when you miss a pill, in the patient information leaflet supplied with your medicine.
As with any medication, some women may experience side effects when taking Yasmin.
Some common Yasmin side effects include:
- Breast pain
- Feeling sick
- Changes in your period (may become lighter or completely stop)
- Mood changes
- Vaginal discharge
Some uncommon or rare Yasmin side effects include:
- Fluid retention
- Changes in libido (sex drive)
- Changes in blood pressure
- Skin reactions (like eczema)
- Hair loss
- Hearing problems
- Increased risk of developing blood clots
A full list of all known Yasmin side effects can be found in the patient information leaflet supplied with your medicine.
What should I do if I think I’m getting Yasmin side effects?
You may experience some side effects in the first 3 months of taking Yasmin, as your body adjusts to taking the pill. Usually, after 3 months, they will improve or go away completely.
If the side effects are unbearable or they don’t improve after 3 months, speak to your doctor. They will be able to help you choose a more suitable contraceptive pill.
Yasmin may not be suitable for some women if they have certain risk factors or are taking medicines that may interact with Yasmin.
If Yasmin or other combined oral contraceptive pills are not suitable for you, your doctor may advise you to try the mini pill instead.
Yasmin may not be suitable for you if you:
- are over 35 years old and you smoke
- have breast cancer or a family history of breast cancer
- have diabetes
- have or have had high blood pressure, heart disease, blood clot, stroke, blood clotting disorder or a family history of these conditions
- have problems with your liver or kidney
- have or have had migraine with aura
- have autoimmune systemic conditions like ulcerative colitis, crohn’s disease or systemic lupus erythematosus
- have had a recent surgery
- have epilepsy
- have a history of depression
- have sickle cell anaemia
- are allergic to any of the ingredients in Yasmin
Yasmin may also increase your risk of developing the following conditions:
- Blood clots - especially if you smoke, are overweight, have diabetes, high blood pressure or a family history of developing blood clots, stroke or heart disease
- Bleeding between periods - if it doesn’t improve after a few months of taking Yasmin, speak to your doctor for advice
- Breast and Cervical cancers - the oestrogen (ethinyl estradiol) in Yasmin may increase the risk of developing these cancers in some women
There are currently breast and cervical screening programmes in the UK for women, but you should also speak to your doctor if you notice any breast lumps or experience abnormal symptoms.
If you experience symptoms of a blood clot such as difficulty breathing, chest pain, swelling or pain in your leg, seek immediate medical attention.
Yasmin drug interactions
Some medicines may interact with Yasmin, making it less effective in preventing pregnancy. These include medicines used to treat:
- Hepatitis C
- Fungal infections
- High blood pressure
You can find the full list of all known drug interactions with Yasmin, and other cautions in the patient information leaflet supplied with your medicine.
Some medicines and supplements can make Yasmin less effective at protecting you from pregnancy. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- high blood pressure medication
- anti-virals to treat HIV or hepatitis C
- antibiotics to treat tuberculosis (TB)
- immunosuppressants for arthritis
- herbal treatments like St John’s wort
You should also tell your doctor about any over the counter medicines you’re currently taking. Other medicines that can interact with Yasmin can be found in the patient information leaflet.
Can I drink while taking Yasmin?
Yes, you can drink alcohol while taking Yasmin without affecting your protection from pregnancy, but you should always drink within the recommended weekly amount.
Can I take painkillers when taking Yasmin?
Yes, simple painkillers like paracetamol are safe to take when on Yasmin. If you are taking other types of painkillers, you should inform your doctor.
Can I take Yasmin when I’m breastfeeding?
It is not advisable to take Yasmin when breastfeeding as it can be passed on to the baby through breastmilk. It can also make it difficult for breast milk to flow due to the oestrogen hormone in Yasmin. Speak to your doctor about other suitable forms of contraception when breastfeeding.
Does Yasmin make your breasts grow?
Yasmin contains oestrogen (ethinyl estradiol) which can make breasts feel tender and swollen especially when you first start f taking Yasmin.
Does Yasmin increase your risk of blood clots?
Yes, but the risk is very small. The risk only increases if you already have other risk factors for developing blood clots such as if you smoke, are overweight, have diabetes, high blood pressure or a family history of developing blood clots, stroke or heart disease.
Does the Yasmin pill help acne?
Yes, Yasmin is one of the combined oral contraceptive pills prescribed for treating acne in the UK.
Can Yasmin make you depressed?
Some women using combined oral contraceptive pills like Yasmin have reported feeling depressive symptoms, but there is no clear research linking taking Yasmin with depression. If you experience any symptoms of depression or suicidal thoughts while on Yasmin, speak to your doctor as soon as possible.
Can Yasmin cause changes to your weight?
Although weight changes have been reported as a side effect of taking Yasmin, not all women experience this. You can speak to your doctor for further advice if you are concerned about changes in your weight.
Does the Yasmin pill stop periods?
Yes, if you take Yasmin pills daily without the 7-day pill break, you can delay experiencing your monthly periods. This will also be reversed if you stop taking Yasmin.
Can Yasmin cause mood swings?
Some women taking Yasmin have reported changes in their mood but there is no clear study linking Yasmin with mood changes. If you do experience mood changes when taking Yasmin, your doctor may suggest you try a different contraceptive pill.
Can Yasmin give you low libido?
Changes in sex drive have been reported as side effects of Yasmin but not all women experience this. If you are concerned about changes in your sex drive, speak to your doctor for advice.
- Combined pill (2020) NHS [accessed 11 February 2021]
- Combined hormonal contraceptives and venous thromboembolism: review confirms risk is small (2014) GOV.UK [accessed 12 February 2021]
- Yasmin contraceptive pill: side effects and dosage (2020) Net Doctor [accessed 11 February 2021]
- Yasmin (2019) Drugs.com [accessed 12 February 2021]
- Yasmin patient information leaflet (2020) EMC [accessed 12 February 2021]
Excellent end quick service every time I have used them.
Good product just a lot more pricey than the other ones
Promptly served and fast delivery x
Amazing service Thank you
Excellent and professional, safe service. Convenient and very courteous.
I use yasim contraceptive all the time great value for money
Doctors on line is efficient
Such an efficient and useful service, particularly in the context of the pandemic when regular sexual health clinics are almost all shut.
Great service, easier than getting a doctors appointment for contraception! :) Could be a bit cheaper though.
Great, very trustworthy fast delivery
The easiest and quickest way for me to get products I need. Very quick delivery!
Straight forward no issues with 📦
I am regularly ordering Yasmin and it always arrives in a shop within 4 hours! I love the service!
I'm so pleased to be able to continue my regular pill. It has long since been taken off the list of NHS prescribed pills and nothing else has ever suited me quite like this. I am thrilled I am able to pay privately for it via Superdrug Doctor.
It's very useful and safe.
I would recommend for others as it is quick, efficient, easy to use, professional, easy to re order so makes life easier. I am very pleased with it. Thanks
Easy ordering process. Always very quick delivery. Convenient and affordable!
Good service, quick.
Efficient speedy service
great and fast
Simple, fast and easy way to order a routine prescription online. Will usr the service again and again.
Perfect! Received it in no time. Very responsable and the pills were the ones i needed! Also very easy to purchase
Worked for me since day one. Side effects varies from person to person and was nothing intolerable for me.
I used this product for a long time and I love it! I was very happy to see that Superdrug can provide it! Very pleased!
Reliable and fast service
Great product, been using it for 3 years.
Everything is ok. Good. Nice. Price ok
Medication arrived so quickly, perfect service
Happy with the service from superdrug doctor... It’s quick, easy and convenient!
I always trust this company to buy my contraceptive pills from them. Questions are straightforward and fast transaction and delivery.
Turnaround times are great and Dr is engaging throughout the process.
amazing service right from your own home :-)
easy to use
Very quick delivery!
Very easy process and great if you find it hard to get to the doctors.
I had to change contraception and Superdrug Online Doctor was a good option. Their service was very fast but also very efficient. The doctor I was in contact with asked me questions and did not just gave me the pill without checking on me first. I would recommend it. As for the pill, I am not seeing any side effects so far, but it might be too early to judge.
Easy to makd order and get delivery in few days.
Easy to use, great communication and duty of care
Very handy and quick service, my prescription item was delivered within a couple of days
Arrived quicker than expected, product as it should be. Thanks
Great service. Quick and easy.
Very easy to order pills that need doctor approval and very fast delivery :)
This service is easy to use, the questionnaire is simple to follow. Regular contact via email allowed me to know where my order was up to, and the delivery was very quick. I would recommend this service to anyone.
I never received my item 💊
Great service and the products too
Very reliable and helpful
Very easy and efficient way to get prescriptions. I like using this service!
A brilliant service from start to finish. Would recommend to anyone.
Great fast service. Better than going to my GP
Fast, straight and easy. Going through the app to order my medicine was a pleasant experience.
Quick and professional service, I recommend.
Quick and professional service
Everything was excellent. Thanks you!
Excellent and efficient service!