You should use Nasonex every day (at the same time each day) by spraying it into your nose as instructed. The normal dose is 2 sprays in each nostril once per day.
Preparing the bottle
If you are using Nasonex for the first time, you must prepare the bottle before using it.
- Shake the bottle gently.
- Place your middle finger and forefinger on either side of the nozzle, with your thumb placed underneath the bottle.
- Point the nozzle away from you before pressing down with your fingers to pump the spray. Do this around 10 times until the bottle starts to spray a fine mist.
If you have not used Nasonex for 14 days or longer, you will need to follow these steps again. However, it will require fewer pumps to produce a fine mist than when it was first prepared.
Using the nasal spray
To use Nasonex correctly, you should follow the steps below.
- Gently shake the bottle and take off the dust cap.
- Blow your nose gently.
- Close one nostril with your finger before putting the nozzle into the other nostril.
- Slightly tilt your head forward and make sure the bottle is kept upright.
- Begin gently breathing in through your nose. While doing this, squirt the spray into your nose. Do this ONCE by pressing down with your fingers.
- Breathe out through your mouth. Repeat step 5 to inhale a second spray in the same nostril if needed.
- Remove the nozzle from your nostril and breathe out through your mouth.
- Repeat steps 3 to 7 for the other nostril.
After using the spray, carefully wipe the nozzle with a clean tissue and replace the dust cap.
Always use the spray exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. Never take a larger dose, or use the spray more often or for longer than you’ve been told to.
How long do you need to take Nasonex for?
You can usually use Nasonex for up to 12 weeks. However, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you do not feel any better after using it for 14 days.
If your symptoms do not go away, you may be advised to use Nasonex for longer.
Back to top