Last reviewed: 05/03/2021 by Dr Simran Deo
To place an order, fill in a brief questionnaire. One of our doctors will review your order and prescribe a suitable treatment.
|3 x 21 tablets||£20|
|3 x 28 tablets||£20|
|6 x 21 tablets||£25|
|6 x 28 tablets||£25|
Packs with 28 tablets contain 7 inactive tablets for week 4.
In a hurry? Choose Click and Collect and pick up your order after just 4 hours from a Superdrug Pharmacy.
Fully trusted and UK-regulated
✔ Regulated by the CQC
✔ GPhC-registered pharmacies
✔ Approved by the MHRA
Microgynon is a combined oral contraceptive pill. It is taken daily to prevent pregnancy and can also be used to treat other issues, such as heavy periods.
Microgynon is known as a combined pill because it contains the synthetic versions of two different female hormones: oestrogen (ethinylestradiol) and progesterone (levonorgestrel). Microgynon contains 30mcg of ethinylestradiol and 150mcg of levonorgestrel.
There are two different types of Microgynon available:
- Microgynon 30: this comes in a 21-day pack so you take it every day for 21 days and then have a 7-day break
- Microgynon 30 ED: this comes in a 28-day pack so you take one pill every day without a break
Is Microgynon the same as other combined pills?
Microgynon contains the same dose of levonorgestrel and ethinylestradiol as Levest and Rigevidon. The only difference is in the brand names.
There are other combined pills available which have different combinations of synthetic hormones, such as Gedarel. These pills work in the same way, but use different hormones that may be more suitable for some women.
A doctor needs to prescribe Microgynon for you before you can buy it.
You can buy Microgynon through a licensed site such as Superdrug Online Doctor, even if you have never had a prescription for it before:
- Answer the short online questionnaire.
- One of our doctors will review your answers.
- If Microgynon is suitable for you to take, the doctor will confirm your prescription.
- You then buy the pills and can either have them sent to your home discreetly (in an unmarked package) or you can ‘click & collect’ from a Superdrug store of your choice.
To check if a site has been licensed to sell medication, use the Government’s online checker.
Can you get Microgynon over the counter?No, you cannot buy Microgynon over the counter or without a prescription. Microgynon is a prescription-only medication, which means you need a prescription from a doctor before you can buy it.
Can you get Microgynon on the NHS?Depending on local guidelines you may be able to get Microgynon on the NHS. You should talk to your GP or your local NHS sexual health clinic about this.
Microgynon works by releasing synthetic versions of the hormones oestrogen and progesterone into your body. This prevents pregnancy in three different ways:
- stopping ovulation so your ovaries do not release an egg each month.
- increasing the thickness of the fluid around the neck of the womb, so it is harder for sperm to reach an egg
- reducing the thickness of the lining of the womb, which means it is more difficult for any egg that does become fertilised to implant itself
How long does Microgynon take to work?If you take your first Microgynon pill in the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle in order to be protected from pregnancy immediately.
If you start taking Microgynon on day 6 or later in your cycle then you won’t be protected from pregnancy straight away. You should use additional protection, such as condoms, for 7 days. If you have unprotected sex during this time, you will need to use emergency contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
How effective is Microgynon?When taken correctly, Microgynon is over 99% effective in preventing pregnancy. However, some factors such as missing pills, interactions with other medications, or being sick can impact the effectiveness of the pill. Taking these factors into consideration, Microgynon is around 91% in reality, which is the same as other combined contraceptive pills.
There are two different versions of Microgynon, which are taken slightly differently.
- comes in strips of 21 tablets
- each tablet is marked with the day of the week it should be taken on
- swallow one tablet whole with water at the same time every day
- at the end of the strip you take a 7-day break
- during this 7-day break you will have a ‘withdrawal bleed’ which is similar to your period
- start your new strip after 7 days and start on the same day each time
- you are protected from pregnancy both when you are taking the pills and during your 7-day break
Microgynon 30 EDMicrogynon ED (Every Day) contains dummy pills that do not have any hormones in them. It is designed to make it easier to remember to take the pill as you do not take a break.
- comes in strips of 28 tablets
- each tablet is marked with the day of the week it should be taken on
- swallow one tablet whole with water at the same time every day
- at the end of the strip, start your new one on the same day each time
- during the last 7 days of your strip you will be taking the dummy pills and you will have a ‘withdrawal bleed’ which is similar to your period
- you are protected from pregnancy throughout the 28 days
When should I start taking Microgynon?
To be fully protected from pregnancy immediately it is recommended that you start taking Microgynon in the first 5 days of your period. If you start taking Microgynon on the 6th day of or later in your cycle, you should use additional contraception for 7 days.
If you are changing contraceptive pills or changing from a coil or injection you should make sure you follow the directions given by your doctor to ensure that you are fully protected from pregnancy.
- If you are currently taking a combined pill you should start taking Microgynon at the end of your strip or at the end of your active pills if you are taking a 28-day pill. You will be protected from pregnancy immediately but you will not have a bleed until the end of your first strip of Microgynon.
- If you are currently taking a mini pill, you should start taking Microgynon on the first day of your period even if you have already taken your mini pill that day. You will have protection from pregnancy immediately.
Can I take Microgynon without a break?Yes, you can take Microgynon every day without taking a 7-day break. In some cases, this approach can help with heavy periods. The NHS advises that you do not do this for more than 2 packets unless you have spoken to your doctor.
What should I do if I miss taking my Microgynon pill?If you have missed one pill or start your new strip a day late:
- take the missed pill as soon as you remember, even if this means taking two pills at once
- continue taking the strip as normal
- you will be protected from pregnancy
- if your strip ends within 6 days of you missing a pill then do not take the 7-day break but start your new strip immediately
- if you are taking Microgynon 30 ED and the active tablets end within 6 days of you missing a pill you should throw away the inactive tablets and start a new pack of Microgynon 30 ED at the end of the active tablets
If you are sick within 3 to 4 hours of taking your pill or have diarrhoea, your body may not have fully absorbed the hormones so you should act as though you have missed a pill. In the case of ongoing vomiting and diarrhoea, you should get medical advice to be clear on whether you need to use additional protection.
If you have missed two or more pills:
- you should take your pill as normal once you remember
- you should use additional contraception for the next 7 days as you may not be protected from pregnancy
- if you have had unprotected sex since you missed your pill you will need to use emergency contraception
Can I take Microgynon to delay my period?
Yes, you can take Microgynon back-to-back to delay your period. You should talk to your GP if you do this regularly.
Taking Microgynon 30 ED back-to-back will not delay your period as you will have your period in the last 7 days of the strip.
Can I use Microgynon as emergency contraception?No, Mircogynon is not an emergency contraceptive. It works to prevent pregnancy by stopping an egg from being fertilised in the first place, whereas emergency oral contraception works to stop a pregnancy from developing after unprotected sex (and potentially fertilisation of an egg).
Can I take Mircogynon after a miscarriage or termination?Yes, you should discuss this with your doctor beforehand, but it is possible to start taking the combined pill immediately after a miscarriage or termination.
Can I take Microgynon if I am breastfeeding?You should talk to your doctor about what contraceptive pill to take while you are breastfeeding. The combined pill is not always recommended for breastfeeding mothers due to the oestrogen it contains.
Can I drink while taking Microgynon?Yes, Microgynon does not interact with alcohol.
Can I take painkillers when taking Microgynon?Yes, Microgynon does not interact with painkillers.
Microgynon is safe for most women to take, and is one of the most commonly prescribed contraceptive pills in the UK.
As with all contraceptive pills, there are some low risks associated with taking Microgynon, and may not be recommended for women who have specific medical conditions. If you have been prescribed Microgynon that means the doctor has assessed your medical condition and knows that Microgynon is a good option for you.
Many women who take Microgynon will not experience any side effects. However, as with all medications, some people will experience side effects. These can vary from person to person and in severity.
Side effects are more common in the first 3 months of taking Microgynon as your body gets used to the hormonal changes. If you are getting side effects and they are having a big impact on your life or do not go away after the initial 3 month period, you should talk to your doctor. They may suggest you swap to a different pill. You can talk to your SuperDrug Online Doctor through your patient account.
In rare cases taking Microgynon can lead to a blood clot. Signs of a blood clot include stabbing chest pain, coughing up blood, shortness of breath, immediate loss of vision, and unexplained swelling or tenderness in one or both legs. If you feel any of these symptoms, you should stop taking Microgynon immediately and seek urgent medical help. The Patient Information Leaflet has more information on how to recognise a blood clot.
The following side effects have been reported by women taking Microgynon:
Common side effects (may affect up to 1 in 10 women):
- stomach pain/feeling sick
- increase in weight
- tender breasts
- depressive mood and changes in mood
- migraine (see a doctor if it is your first or is particularly severe)
- fluid retention (swollen hands, ankles or feet)
- reduced interest in sex
- diarrhoea/being sick
- enlarged breasts
- changes in vaginal or nipple secretions
- discomfort when wearing contact lenses
- reduction in body weight
- increase in sexual desire
Women discuss the following issues when taking Microgynon:
Can Microgynon help with painful and heavy periods?
Yes, by regulating the hormones in your body the combined pill can help with painful and heavy periods.
Does Microgynon make your breasts grow?
The hormonal changes caused by taking Microgynon can lead to changes in the size of your breasts, but this usually settles down after the initial 3 months of taking the pill.
Does Microgynon increase your risk of blood clots?
Microgynon is a combined pill and there is a small increase in the chance of you developing blood clots when taking the combined pill, compared to when you are not taking it. The risk for Microgynon is between 5-7 out of 10,000 women so it is deemed to be low overall. The risk is higher when you first start taking Microgynon (or if you restart it after a break) and once you stop taking Microgynon your risk of developing a blood clot returns to normal in a few weeks. Factors such as age (being over 35), family history, being overweight or having recently given birth can all impact the risk of you developing a blood clot. Always make sure you discuss your personal health and your family’s medical history with the doctor prescribing you Microgynon.
Does Microgynon help with acne?
Taking Microgynon can help control acne as the hormonal changes can reduce the production of sebum (the oily substance which is secreted onto your skin and can cause acne).
Can Microgynon cause mood swings or make you depressed?
Taking Microgynon changes the hormones in your body and women report that this can result in changes of mood or low mood. Research has neither proved or disproved this link and some women do find that the mood changes improve after the first 3 months of taking Microgynon.
Can Microgynon cause changes to your weight?
There is no scientific evidence to prove that taking the combined pill either increases or decreases your weight. But some women do report weight changes as a side effect of taking Microgynon.
Can Microgynon lower your libido?
Some women find the hormonal changes caused by taking Microgynon have an effect on their sex drive. If you are worried that taking the pill is impacting yours, speak to your GP who may suggest you try a contraceptive pill with a different combination of hormones.
Does the Microgynon pill stop periods?
No, you take the active hormones for 21 days and then have a withdrawal bleed (period) in the 7 days before you start taking the active pills again. This is the same for both Microgynon 30 and Microgynon 30 ED (which simply provides you with dummy pills for the 7-day break). Microgynon can be used to stop periods if taken back to back (without a break), but this isn’t the regular way to use this pill.
Microgynon is recommended for many women but the combination of oestrogen and progesterone can make it unsuitable for women with certain medical conditions. If this is the case for you, your doctor may recommend that you try the progesterone-only mini pill instead.
It is important to tell the prescribing GP if you:
- smoke and are 35 or older
- stopped smoking less than a year ago and are 35 or older
- are overweight
- suspect you might be pregnant
- are breastfeeding
- are going to have an operation which means you will be off your feet for a long time
- take certain medicines
- have or have had blood clots on a vein (eg, your leg or lungs)
- have issues affecting your blood clotting or a family history of blood clots
- have or have had a stroke
- have or have had a heart abnormality
- have or have had severe migraines
- have or have had breast cancer
- have or have had disease of the gallbladder or liver
- have or have had diabetes
- have or have had very high blood pressure
Can I take Microgynon if I am taking other medicines?
If you are taking medication or herbal supplements you should tell your doctor before taking Microgynon. If you are already taking Microgynon and you are prescribed another medication, you should also make sure you let your doctor know. This is because the interactions between Microgynon and other medications or supplements can make it less effective.
Medicines for the treatment of the following conditions may stop Microgynon from working properly:
- HIV infection
- hepatitis C virus infection
- other infectious diseases
- high blood pressure in the blood vessels of the lungs
- depressive mood
What are the risks from taking Microgynon?If you have been prescribed Microgynon by a doctor, then it is safe for you to take. However, as with all combined oral contraceptive pills, there are increased risks associated with taking it.
- Blood clots: the oestrogen in Microgynon can cause your blood to clot more easily which can cause deep vein thrombosis (clot in your leg), pulmonary embolism (clot in your lung), stroke and heart attack. The risk for Microgynon is low (between 5-7 women out of 10,000) but it is higher when compared to those not taking any oral contraceptive (2 out of 10,000 women). The risk decreases after your first year of taking Microgynon for the first time and returns to normal within a few weeks of when you stop taking it.
- Cancer: research has shown that the combined pill can slightly increase the risk of developing breast and cervical cancer. The risk goes up the longer you are on the pill and is increased if you have a family history of breast cancer or you are overweight. Your risk of developing breast cancer goes back to normal 10 years after you stop taking the pill.
Over 16,000 customers of Superdrug Online Doctor rate the service 4.6 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot.
You can read about other people’s experiences, including side effects, of taking Microgynon on The Lowdown.
- Microgynon 30 tablets (2020) EMC [accessed 23 February 2021]
- Microgynon 30 ED tablets (2020) EMC [accessed 23 February 2021]
- Combined hormonal contraceptives NICE [accessed 23 February 2021]
- Combined contraceptive pill NHS [accessed 23 February 2021]
- Ethinylestradiol with levonorgestrel NICE [accessed 23 February 2021]
I'm been ordering my medication from a long time and I always get them on time,very happy with the service.
really good, as described quick and effective
I've recently ordered 6 month supply of contraceptive pill, from which one pill was missing entirely and two other were flying around in the box. How is this even possible to send an incomplete set of contraceptive pills?
A* service from Superdrug. Quick and efficient
I logged a complaint that hemes said they have left my parcel at a neighbour but they actually haven’t left it there. I am still waiting to hear back
Superdrug’s online service has been an absolute lifesaver during Covid. Being a shielded family due to my husbands health, the thought of going to the doctor just to get my contraceptive pill was scary. Having it sorted by Superdrug has been amazing. Thank you 🙏
The doctor service was really helpfull, my old contraception pill is made in France so I couldn't find excatly the same one in the Uks, so the doctor advised one which is really similar to the previous one. I need to wait next month to see if it worked and I will not have any segundary effects.
Very easy to order I will definitely be using again
Pretty fast delivery, delivered within the time frame I was given. Value for money is a tough one, since 1/4 of the pills are inactive, kinda feels like I paid to be given those aswell which is pointless as I have multiple alarms set to remind me to take it each day anyway. Overall quality tho, happy with my order :)
So convenient and good value for money
I found no fault with the service. Easy to use, quick and with good follow up communication.
Extremely fast shipping!
Easy to use service
1000000x easier than going to your GP !! I needed my contraception fast and it was with me much quicker than I expected. Great service. I will definitely use again 😀
Usually good products but I paid extra for delivery LAST WEEK and have yet to receive my package. Managed to get a refund for the extra delivery but the customer service is awful - emailed another 2 times to get information about my package and have gotten absolutely nothing back. Will not be purchasing from again.
Excellent, timely delivery.
Superdrug’s online doctor service is fantastic. I’d much rather pay for my prescription with the convenience of this service than go to my GP - especially during COVID, when the NHS is already so strained. Thanks Superdrug!
Great service , constant advice and help If needed from professional drs !
Quick and Easy. Will use again.
It's quick and easy to fill out the form and items are sent within days. The email reminders are great also as I never forget when my prescription is due. The doctors are really helpful and give a quick response when I have a query! Great service!!!
Super effective and no side effects
Good service, short delivery time 👍
Very prompt service
Fast and efficient
Great fast service
I am very satisfied with this service, saves me a lot of nerves and time not going to see a nurse IRL when I need to get my pills
Great service, always fast delivery
Good quality and delivery
Excellent service, fast delivery. So much more efficient than getting these from my GP
Amazing service! Really super professionals doctors always helping you! 100% recommended!
Does what it says on the box!
Quick response from your doctors. Trusting and reliable service!
Ordered and delivered in time
Fast delivery couldn’t have asked for more
Professional and prompt service.
Usually I am happy. But this time not. I was supposed to receive THREE months worth of pills. Instead I received just ONE months worth.
Easy to use and thrilled to not waste NHS doc appointment in-surgery for something as mundane as repeat pill
Quick delivery, very satisfied wit services and will continue to use them
Easy process ordering online. The doctor was really helpful and my order was approved quickly. They have also let me know if I have any questions or problems a doctor will answer it for me. Great service, I’m very happy
Can’t believe how simple and straight forward this was to use
very good pills. I recommend for everyone.
Perfect, just be careful to the time that you put on the form if you pay for delivery because if you are not at your house you most be need to pick up from the mail place.
This is a great service - super convenient!
Great service, very easy to use
Fast delivery, easy process
I really remember
Every time is the same..high quality !
Quick and on time, I didn’t receive my full order but was resolved quickly would recommend
Does the job
Drs were great, fast delivery, will use again
Fantastic service, first time using this and would highly recommended! Takes the hassle out of booking doctors appointments ect. Great personal communication with the doctor too.
First class product
Great product, no side efekt
briliant service from Superdrug, love that you can do this so easily and message the doctors if they have question, love it.
A direct substitute from the pill I was in in New Zealand
Quick to arrive with clear manual
Great product. Happy with what I received
Quick Service and Online Application. Saved me having to wait week's for a Doctor's Appointment
I am so pleased I managed to get a 6 month supply of my pill from this online doctor. I normally have to go every 3 months and the appointments are a nightmare to book. Doctor sent pills to my local post office within 24 hours. Amazing service!
Quick and easy service, painless!
Been taking it 20 years and not got pregnant so it works!!
Perfect and arrived on tíme - will do it again!
they’re effective and its does what its supposed to. Delivery was quick
I've been trying to get an appointment with my GP for the past 2 weeks to get my contraceptives and could not get in because theu had nothing available. This online doctor is the answer when you want it donr quickly and without too much trouble Thank you!
Quick and easy to organise
All good. Dispatched quickly, product is as described.
Really fast service to match the excellent product
Used before but was switched to a different tablet without agreeing so resorted to buying privately through Superdrug after having unwanted side effects from the "new" tablets. Fantastic product, I was on it for 6 years previously with no problems at all so I'm glad to have it back.
Very quick and easy service!
Easy online application, quick delivery
Always kept in touch and it was ideal being able to track the package.
very pleased with it, so easy to take, don't even need a glass of water
Didn't give me what I ordered , wasn't very good all round really
Super quick service and very reasonable prices, plus the ability to be able to collect for free from the nearest shop is incredibly handy
Quick & easy ordering plus very quick delivery 😊
Very fast and reliable service will defentlly use again very safe 😃
The service was quick, easy to use and I collected my prescription around the corner from my work the next day. Much more convenient than having to try and get an appointment with my local GP - no snotty receptionists, no waiting around, no faffing, no time off work. I'd definitely recommend it.
I'm very disappointed with super drug's delivery service. I was told in the checkout that it is next day delivery and I got my product 3 days after. This was very urgent for me and now I am abroad and out of contraception pill for the next month which will have a lot of side effects.
Really easy to use, got the product i wanted without any fuss, fast delivery. Really pleased. Will definitely be using again
Exactly the product I needed in the same format.
Quick and safe. Had trust in the medical questins
Very quick and easy to use, had to speak to the online doctor but messages were sent and replied to very quickly. my prescription was approved within 24 hours of requesting. I received my prescription on the date I was told. Great service overall
So easy and simple. Saves so much time and I don't have to book time off work to see my doctor. Would highly recommend!!!!
Fantastic service-takes out having to make time to go to the GP. Quick and easy to conplete online, postage was fast. Highly recommended!
Excellent service, very easy to use. Order was processed very quickly and ready for collection the same day. Highly recommended.
Good service. Doctor needed more info but once I sent that everything was actioned quickly and arrived on time.
Great fast confidential service
Very efficient but quite expensive
Excellent service. I feel safe and secure ordering from a brand and a doctor who I can trust.
Arrived on time in good condition. All as expected. Great service
Reliable service with descreet packaging.
Very easy ordering process and very fast delivery but some products have higher prices compare to other phamacies. Overall, I definitely recommend the site.
Excellent arrived on time . Very professional