It is important you use your Clenil inhaler regularly and correctly as shown by your doctor. This allows the medicine to get into your airways and improve your symptoms over time.
To begin, take the following steps:
- Remove the mouthpiece cover on your Clenil inhaler to check it is clean inside and outside before using it
- Shake the inhaler before using it to make sure the solution is mixed well
- Sit or stand upright. Hold the inhaler upright, with your thumb at the base of the inhaler, just below its mouthpiece
- To begin, breathe out as far as possible
- Place the mouthpiece between your teeth and close your lips around it without biting it
- Breathe in slowly and press down on the top of the inhaler
- Continue breathing in steadily and deeply as the inhaler releases a puff of medicine, then hold your breath as long as you can, to allow the medication get into your airways
- Breathe out slowly
- If you are supposed to take another puff, keep the inhaler upright and wait for 30 seconds before repeating the process
- Replace the mouthpiece cover immediately after using your inhaler
If you find it hard to use your inhaler with the steps above, your doctor can give you a ‘spacer’ This is a device that can help you inhale the medication more easily.
How long does a Clenil Inhaler take to work?
You need to use your Clenil inhaler regularly as prescribed, for it to work well and prevent your asthma symptoms.
Clenil inhalers contain a steroid which takes a few days of using it regularly to build up its effect. Usually your symptoms should improve in 3 to 7 days. You should speak to your doctor if you do not notice any change in your symptoms after 7 days.
How often can I use my Clenil Modulite inhaler?
You should use your Clenil inhaler regularly, as prescribed by your doctor, which is usually twice a day, to be used everyday. Your doctor will prescribe a suitable starting dose of Clenil depending on how often you have flare-ups of asthma symptoms.
For example, if your doctor decides to put you on a starting dose of 200 micrograms, twice daily, you will need to take 2 puffs of Clenil 100 micrograms inhaler, in the morning and another 2 puffs in the evening.
You should not use Clenil to relieve serious asthma attack symptoms as they do not work as quickly as ‘reliever inhalers’ like salbutamol.
How many puffs of Clenil Modulite is safe?
The maximum dose of Clenil that can be prescribed safely is 800 micrograms to be taken twice daily.
Depending on your response to Clenil, your doctor may increase your starting dose over time, up to a maximum of 800 micrograms.
How long does my Clenil Modulite inhaler last?
The Clenil dose your doctor prescribes will determine how long your inhaler lasts.
Each canister of Clenil inhaler contains 200 puffs.
If you are prescribed a starting dose of 200 micrograms twice daily, and you are using a Clenil 100 micrograms inhaler, this would mean taking 4 puffs a day, so your inhaler should last for 50 days.
How to maintain your Clenil Modulite inhaler
You should aim to clean your Clenil inhaler at least once a week. Do not use water or other liquids to clean your inhaler.
Use the following steps to clean your Clenil inhaler:
- Pull away the protective cap from your inhaler’s mouthpiece
- Use a cotton swab to clean the small opening on the mouthpiece where the medicine sprays out from the canister
- Twist the cotton swab in a circular motion to clean any medicine in the mouthpiece opening
- Replace the mouthpiece opening
How to store your Clenil Modulite inhaler
Your Clenil inhaler contains a pressured solution.
You should not store or expose your Clenil inhaler to temperatures above 30C. Do not expose your inhaler to direct heat, sunlight or frost.
Do not use your inhaler past its expiry date.
Back to top