When taking your Symbicort inhaler, follow these steps:
- Take the cover off your inhaler and keep it upright.
- Load your inhaler with a dose. Twist the grip all the way in one direction, as far as it will go and then do the same in the other direction, making sure to not cover the mouthpiece while doing so. You should hear a click sound on the first or second twist and this means your inhaler is now loaded.
- Breathe out as much as is comfortable.
- Put the mouthpiece of the inhaler between your teeth but do not bite down. Close your lips around the mouthpiece and breathe in deeply.
- Remove the inhaler and then breathe out again, gently. If you need another puff, follow the same steps again.
- Put the cover back on your inhaler and store safely.
- Always rinse your mouth after your last dose with water and spit it out. This will remove any powder and can prevent thrush and some other side effects.
When should I use my inhaler?
You should use your inhaler as prescribed by your doctor and it should be used every day to prevent symptoms. If you are also using your Symbicort inhaler as a ‘reliever’ inhaler, use it when you first get asthma symptoms. If you feel like you need more puffs of the inhaler than prescribed, speak to your doctor.
How long does a Symbicort Inhaler take to work?
Symbicort starts working to relieve asthma symptoms within 15 minutes. When using your inhaler daily to prevent symptoms, you will start to see your asthma symptoms improving within 3 to 7 days.
How often can I use my Symbicort inhaler?
Always use your Symbicort inhaler as instructed by your doctor. You should use it as often as prescribed and if you are also using Symbicort as a ‘reliever’ inhaler, you should use it when you first get asthma symptoms. If you miss a dose of your inhaler, never take a double dose to make up for this. Instead, continue taking your doses normally when they are next due.
How many puffs of Symbicort is safe?
Symbicort is safe in prescribed doses. Do not take more than 6 puffs at a time or more than 12 puffs in 24 hours. If you feel like you need to use it more than this, speak with your doctor. If you take more than you should, you may get some side effects, such as a fast heartbeat, shaking, and headaches.
How long does my Symbicort inhaler last?
You can get a Symbicort inhaler in 60 or 120 doses. Your inhaler will usually have a dose indicator, which will tell you how many doses you have left. If you use a Symbicort inhaler with 120 doses, 2 times a day and take 4 puffs each day, your inhaler would last 30 days. If you use your inhaler as a ‘reliever’ inhaler too, it will last a shorter amount of time.
How to maintain your Symbicort inhaler
Make sure you clean the mouthpiece of your Symbicort inhaler once a week, with a tissue. Be sure not to use any cleaning products or water to clean the inhaler.
How to store your Symbicort inhaler
As your inhaler contains medication, be sure to keep it far from children. Store it somewhere that is easy to access if you need it. Do not use your Symbicort inhaler after the expiry date and ask a pharmacist how you can safely throw away your inhaler when it is finished.
Back to top