Can I get PrEP?
To order PrEP medication, you must:
- be over 18 years old
- be HIV negative
- have a high chance of HIV exposure
You need to take an HIV test before starting PrEP, and then test regularly while on PrEP to check that you’re still HIV negative. This is just one of the tests you need to take (see below, ‘What tests do I need before I can start PrEP?’).
You have a higher risk of HIV exposure if you do not use condoms during sex and you are:
- a man who has sex with men
- a transgender person who has sex with men
- a woman who has sex with bisexual people
- a sex worker
- having sex with someone from a country with a high rate of infection
- having sex with someone who is HIV positive and has a detectable viral load (they have a high amount of the virus in their blood)
- having sex with someone whose HIV status is not clear
- injecting drugs using needles, syringes and other equipment, and sharing those with others
Other factors might put you at a high risk of exposure to HIV too.
What tests do I need before I can start PrEP?
Before you can begin taking PrEP, you will need to make sure that you:
- are HIV negative
- have normal kidney function
- if you have not been vaccinated against hepatitis B, you will need to check that you are negative for hepatitis B
- if you are a man who has sex with other men or are a trans woman, you will to check that you are negative for hepatitis C
It’s not safe to take PrEP without taking these tests.
Once you begin PrEP, you will need to repeat these tests at different periods (see below, ‘How should I care for myself when taking PrEP?’).
You can still order PrEP medication through Superdrug Online Doctor if you haven’t taken all the PrEP tests you need when starting PrEP. However, you must take these tests and get your results before you start taking your PrEP medication (even if your order arrives before you get your results). A doctor will send you a message to explain which tests you need and how to get these done when you complete your medication order.
Order your PrEP tests online from Superdrug Online Doctor
You can order the following PrEP test kits through us, depending on what you need to check.
- Advanced PrEP test to check your HIV, kidney function, and hepatitis B and C status
- Basic PrEP test to check your HIV and kidney function status only. For example, if you know your hepatitis status already or this doesn't apply to you.
Kidney Function test to check your kidney function only. For example, if you've checked your HIV status separately and you don't need to check your hepatitis status.
You can also order a standalone HIV test. For example, when you need to regularly check your HIV status once you start taking PrEP. We go into more details about these tests, further below.
It's also recommended that you do a full screen test for sexually transmitted infections (STIs), both before and every 3 months while on PrEP.
When your test kit arrives, simply collect your sample at home and send it to our partner laboratory. Our doctors will send you a confidential message through your account containing your results and advice.
Back to top