A Pulmicort inhaler should be used as instructed to get the best relief from your asthma symptoms. When you need to take your inhaler, follow these steps:
The steps to use your Pulmicort inhaler will also be found in the patient information sheet.
- Remove the cover and hold the inhaler in an upright position.
- Load the inhaler with a dose. Make sure you do not hold the mouthpiece while doing this. Turn the base as far as it will go in one direction and then repeat for the other direction. You should then hear a clicking sound, this means it’s loaded and ready to be used. Only do this when you need to use it.
- Breathe out as much as you can before putting the inhaler in your mouth.
- Put the mouthpiece between your teeth and close your lips. Breathe in as hard and deeply as you can and be sure not to bite down on the mouthpiece.
- Once you have taken the dose, remove the inhaler from your mouth and breathe out gently.
- If you have been prescribed to take more than 1 puff, repeat these steps again.
- Put the cover back on and store your inhaler.
- Rinse your mouth with water once you have finished taking your dose. This is to remove any dry powder still in your mouth and can prevent some side effects, such as thrush.
When should I use my inhaler?
You should use your inhaler as prescribed by your doctor. If you need to use it twice daily, space your doses evenly in the day such as in the morning and the evening. If you are prescribed Pulmicort once daily, it is better to take it in the evening. Pulmicort is used to prevent symptoms, so if you have symptoms, you should use your ‘reliever’ inhaler.
How long does a Pulmicort Inhaler take to work?
A Pulmicort inhaler will work differently for every person who uses it. If taken properly, it can help with asthma symptoms and improve breathing in 2 days, but can take up to 4 weeks for the best effect. That is why you should not stop taking the inhaler if your symptoms go away. Speak to a doctor if your breathing is getting worse with your inhaler or your chest feels more tight than usual, as this may mean Pulmicort is not working for you or you need a higher dose.
How often can I use my Pulmicort inhaler?
You should use your Pulmicort inhaler as many times as it has been prescribed. It should be used daily, 1 to 2 times in the day. You may be prescribed more often than this. If you feel as if you need more of your inhaler, speak to your doctor.
How many puffs of Pulmicort is safe?
You should always take your prescribed dose but too many puffs are not likely to cause any harm. If you are worried that you have taken too many puffs, or feel like you need more, speak to your doctor. If you miss a dose, do not give yourself a double dose.
How long does my Pulmicort inhaler last?
Each Pulmicort inhaler contains either 50,100, or 200 doses. This will depend on which strength you have been prescribed. This means if you are taking 1 puff each day, your inhaler could last for 50-200 days. You can work out how long your inhaler will last when you know how many doses it contains or by asking your doctor. Look for a red mark on the window of the inhaler, this tells you that your inhaler is running low and there are around 20 puffs left.
How to maintain your Pulmicort inhaler
To keep your Pulmicort inhaler in working order, be sure to clean it once a week. You can do this with a dry tissue or cloth, by wiping the outside of the mouthpiece. Never try to clean your inhaler with liquids or water, as the dry powder inside the inhaler is sensitive to liquids.
How to store your Pulmicort inhaler
When storing your Pulmicort inhaler, put it in a safe place away from children and hot places. Make sure to keep the cover on when you are not using your inhaler to keep it clean. Do not use it after the expiry date. When you have finished using Pulmicort, speak to a pharmacist so they can throw away your inhaler safely.
Back to top