Vitaros comes in an applicator, a tube of cream, which contains enough cream for one use. Vitaros should be stored in the fridge as it can only be kept at room temperature for up to 3 days.
To use Vitaros cream you must:
- Wash your hands with soap and water
- Take an applicator of Vitaros out of the fridge, a few hours before you plan to use it or warm it by rolling the applicator between your hands. Squeeze the head of the penis to make the opening wider
- Hold the tip of the barrel as close as possible to the tip of your penis without putting it inside
- Push the plunger to apply the cream into the penis until the full amount of cream in the applicator has been used
- Hold the penis upright for 30 seconds to let the cream take effect
- Push any cream that doesn’t go in straight away into the tip of the penis using your finger. Don’t use a second tube to make up for cream that doesn’t go in
Vitaros should start working within 30 minutes of applying it, but for some people, Vitaros cream works within 5 minutes. The effects normally last for 1 to 2 hours.
We recommend that you pass urine before using Vitaros. You should avoid passing urine immediately after using the cream as it may come out before it has enough time to work.
Vitaros won’t normally give you an erection unless you’re aroused.
If you find you still don’t get and keep an erection hard enough for sex with Vitaros cream, your doctor might be able to increase your dose.
If your partner is pregnant, try to avoid getting any Vitaros cream on them. To do this, we recommend that you have sex using a condom after you’ve applied the cream.
Can you inject alprostadil?
You can’t inject Vitaros cream, but there is an alprostadil injection that you can get prescribed.
The alprostadil injection is not a service that we currently offer at Superdrug Online Doctor. If you want to find out more about the alprostadil injection, you should talk to your GP.
Back to top