Spedra is an erectile dysfunction medication. It contains the active substance avanafil, which helps men with erectile problems to gain and maintain an erection. Spedra tablets have to be taken 30 mins before intercourse. Like Viagra and other erectile dysfunction drugs, Spedra only helps you get an erection when you are sexually stimulated. It is a prescription only medication for adult men.
To place an order, fill in a brief questionnaire. One of our doctors will review your order and prescribe a suitable treatment.
|4 tablets||from £49|
|8 tablets||from £89|
100mg and 200mg tablets available
In a hurry? Choose Click and Collect and pick up your order after just 4 hours from a Superdrug Pharmacy.
Fully trusted and UK-regulated
✔ Regulated by the CQC
✔ GPhC-registered pharmacies
✔ Approved by the MHRA
Avanafil, the active substance in Spedra, works in the same way as other popular erectile dysfunction drugs. It relaxes the blood vessels in your penis and increases the blood flow to your penis. As a result, you will find it easier to get and maintain an erection. Spedra does not cure ED permanently, so you may need to take it every time you have sex. It only helps men with sexual dysfunction and it is not suitable for women or young men under the age of 18.
How is Spedra taken?
Spedra tablets can be taken with or without food. If you take the tablet with food, you may find that it takes longer to work. The active ingredient avanafil takes up to 30 minutes to work, so you need to allow half an hour before having sex. Spedra tablets are available with a dosage of 50mg, 100mg and 200mg of avanafil. The standard dosage is 100mg. If this dosage is too weak or strong for you, consult your doctor. Your doctor will advise you on whether you need to increase or decrease the dose you are taking. You mustn’t take more than one avanafil tablet per day.
Is Spedra different to other erectile dysfunction drugs?
Spedra is very similar to other medications from the same group, such as sildenafil and tadalafil. The active substance avanafil is absorbed quickly, reaching maximum effect within 30 to 45 minutes. During medical trials, some participants found that it improved their sexual function within 15 minutes of taking the tablet. However, how quickly erectile dysfunction medication works varies between men and it depends on whether you take the tablet with or without food.
Like any other erectile dysfunction medication, Spedra is sold on various websites. However, avanafil tablets are a prescription-only medication. It is important that a doctor reviews, whether Spedra is safe for you to take. If you buy Spedra from an unlicensed online pharmacy, you run the risk of being supplied with fake or unlicensed medication. The safest way to order avanafil tablets without seeing a doctor face to face is using an accredited online doctor service such as Superdrug Online Doctor.
To order Spedra, you need to fill in a brief questionnaire and select Spedra as your preferred treatment. Our doctor will use your answers to establish whether you can take an erectile dysfunction medication. As soon as our doctor has approved a suitable treatment, your medication will be dispatched from the Superdrug mail order pharmacy.
Common Spedra Side Effects
- nasal congestion
Uncommon Spedra Side Effects
- feeling tired or sleepy
- hot flushes
- back pain
- sinus congestion
- feeling out of breath when you exert yourself
- changes to your liver enzymes (may show in blood tests)
- blurry vision
- increased heart beat
- changes in your heartbeat (ECG)
- indigestion, feeling or being sick
For a full list of all possible side effects of Spedra read the patient leaflet provided with the tablets. If you notice side effects while taking Spedra which are not listed on the patient leaflet, speak to a doctor or pharmacist.
Stop taking Spedra and seek medical help immediately if you experience:
- an erection which lasts more than 4 hours (this could result in permanent damage to your penis and requires immediate medical attention)
- blurred vision
- changes in vision to one or both of your eyes
- loss of hearing, decrease of hearing, ringing in the ears
Do not take Spedra if:
- you are allergic to avanafil or any other ingredient in Spedra
- you are taking medication for chest pain or angina
- you are taking medication for HIV or AIDS
- you have a cardiac problem
- you are suffering from a heart condition such as an irregular heartbeat
- you have high or low blood pressure levels which is not controlled by medication
- you have had a stroke or heart attack within the last 6 months
- you experience chest pain during sex
- you have a serious liver or kidney problem
- you have an eye condition called non-arteritic ischemic optic neuropathy [NAION] which causes the blood flow to your eye to be insufficient
- you have a family history of serious eye conditions such as retinitis pigmentosa
- you suffer from a medical condition which affects the shape of your penis (for example Peyronie’s disease, angulation or cavernosal fibrosis)
- you suffer from a heart problem
- you suffer from priapism (an erection which lasts for more than 4 hours; men with sickle cell disease, multiple myeloma and leukaemia have a higher risk of suffering from priapism)
- you suffer from a bleeding disorder or active peptic ulceration
Driving and operating machinery
Spedra does not usually impact your ability to drive or work with machines. However, it can cause dizziness in some men. If you feel unwell or suffer side effects affecting your vision, you must not drive or work with machinery.
Avanafil tablets interact with some medications. Before taking Spedra, you need to discuss any medicines you are currently taking or have recently taken with your prescribing doctor.
Make sure you mention if you are taking:
- medicines for chest pain
- medication for HIV or AIDS
- medicines for fungal infections (including ketoconazole, itraconazole or voriconazole)
- certain antibiotics, such as clarithromycin, telithromycin and erythromycin
- alpha-blockers for prostate problems or high blood pressure
- medication to treat an irregular heartbeat (such as quinidine, procainamide, amiodarone or sotalol)
- carbamazepine (to treat epilepsy, mood disorders and pain)
- medicines which slow down the breakdown of Spedra in your body (this includes amprenavir, aprepitant, diltiazem, fluconazole, fosamprenavir, and verapamil)
- other erectile dysfunction medication, such as sildenafil (sold under the brand name Viagra)
Can I consume alcohol while taking Spedra?
You should avoid drinking alcohol while using Spedra. Alcohol has a negative impact on your ability to gain an erection. In addition, it can cause dizziness, headache or palpitations when consumed in combination with avanafil.
Spedra and Grapefruit
Grapefruit juice can increase the effect of avanafil and should be avoided while taking Spedra. Do not drink Grapefruit juice within 24 hours before or after taking an avanafil tablet.
- Are allergic to avanafil or any of the other ingredients in Spedra
- Are taking nitrates
- Are taking clarithromycin or telithromycin
- Have a serious heart problem or have had a heart attack or stroke in the past six months
- Are taking ritonavir, indinavir, saquinavir, nelfinavir or atazanavir for HIV
- Are taking ketoconazole, itraconazole or Voriconazole
- Have high blood pressure which is not under control
- Have low blood pressure
- Have chest pain or have encountered chest pain during sex
- Have a severe kidney or liver problem
- Have an eye condition called NAION
- Have a family history of eye problems such as retinitis pigmentosa
- Are taking riociguat
- Have a heart problem
- Have suffered from priapism in the past (a prolonged and / or painful erection which lasts more than 4 hours) or have any condition which puts you at risk of priapism, such as sickle cell disease, multiple myeloma or leukaemia
- Have a condition that affects the shape of your penis
- Have a bleeding disorder