How is chlamydia diagnosed?
Chlamydia can be diagnosed quickly and easily with a chlamydia test. It`s essential to get an accurate diagnosis from a doctor or sexual health clinic and not to try to diagnose or treat yourself as this could result in delayed, incorrect, or even harmful treatment.
What tests would a doctor perform?
The doctor will provide a chlamydia test which is quick, and painless, and can be done by yourself in private. Your doctor or nurse will not usually need to examine you. There are two tests used to diagnose chlamydia.
- A urine test where a sample of urine is provided and sent away for analysis.
- A swab test where a cotton bud is wiped over the infected area (vagina, throat or anus) and the cells are sent away for analysis.
For men, a urine test is usually taken.
Women will usually be asked to take a swab.
If you have rectal or oral symptoms a swab is recommended.
How to get a chlamydia test
You can get a chlamydia test free of charge and confidentially at your GP surgery, local sexual health clinic, or GUM clinic.
You can also get at-home chlamydia test kits from services such as Superdrug Online Doctor.
If you are under 25 you may be offered a chlamydia test as part of the National Chlamydia Screening Programme (NCSP). This is an initiative aimed at diagnosing, treating, and preventing the spread of chlamydia.
It's a good idea to get tested for chlamydia once a year if you are under 25 and sexually active. You should also get tested for chlamydia if you:
- have symptoms of chlamydia
- have had unprotected sex, or the condom split during sex
- your partner or former partner has tested positive for chlamydia (in this case you can speak to a doctor about taking chlamydia treatment even without a test)
- you or your partner has had unprotected sex with other partner(s)
How long does it take to get the results of a chlamydia test?
The results of your chlamydia test take between 2-3 days. Your doctor may start treatment for chlamydia before the results are back if it is likely that you have chlamydia, for example, if you have symptoms, or your partner has tested positive for chlamydia.
How do I know if I have chlamydia?
The only way to find out if you have chlamydia is to take a chlamydia test.
How long does it take for chlamydia to show up on a test
It normally takes about 2 weeks after contracting chlamydia for the results to show up on a test. If you have had unprotected sex with a new partner, you should wait at least 14 days before having a chlamydia test.