What are the side effects of finasteride?
As with all medicines, it is possible that you will experience some side effects as a result of taking finasteride. Your prescribing doctor will have judged the benefits of using the drug against these potential side effects.
Common side effects (more than 1 in 100 men):
- impotence, or difficulty gaining and keeping an erection
- a loss of libido, or sex drive
- a decrease in the amount of semen produced during sex
- problems with ejaculation
If you experience any side effects during your treatment, speak to your prescribing doctor.
Uncommon side effects (less than 1 in 100 patients)
- sore, swollen or tender breasts
Other side effects - frequency unknown
The frequency of the following side effects is not known, as there isn’t enough data available to confirm how common they are.
- painful testicles
- changes in the way your liver is working
- allergic reactions
Speak to your prescribing doctor if you experience any of these side effects as they could be an indication of a serious reaction to the drug.
There have been cases of male breast cancer in men who took finasteride. If you notice any changes such as lumps, pain or discharge speak to your doctor without delay.