Tell your doctor about any medication you are currently taking before starting your treatment with Lipitor. Make sure you mention all medications, including non-prescription medication and herbal remedies.
Atorvastatin tablets are known to interact with:
- medications which affect your immune system (for example Ciclosporin)
- certain antibiotics
- certain antifungal medicines
- other medications which lower cholesterol
- calcium channel blockers (used to treat hypertension)
- medicines which regulate your heart rhythm
- some HIV treatments
- the contraceptive pill
- some epilepsy medications
- some medications taken to prevent blood clotting
- the herbal remedy St. John’s Wort
Atorvastatin and Grapefruit
Atorvastatin and grapefruit are known to interact. Consuming grapefruit while undergoing treatment with Lipitor can lead to an increase of the drug in your bloodstream.
Atorvastatin and Alcohol
Lipitor does not interact with alcohol, but it is not suitable for patients who regularly drink large quantities of alcohol. This is because excessive alcohol consumption causes damage to your liver. Atorvastatin is not suitable for patients with liver problems. Tell your doctor how much alcohol you drink before you begin taking Lipitor.